Our Patient Safety Charter
Find out about what we do to keep our patients safe
Our practice has a safety culture which means that patient safety is at the forefront of everyone’s minds not only when delivering healthcare but also when setting objectives, developing procedures, purchasing new products and equipment. It is also a culture that is open and fair, where team members can discuss the challenges they face at work for the best interests of our patients.
All our team members are trained in safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults and follow the practice safeguarding procedures, which are regularly monitored and reviewed.
As a member of CODE we are kept up to date with the latest changes to regulations and patient safety guidelines and regularly train the team at the practice.
For patient safety we...
- Follow the latest infection prevention guidelines including those from NHS England, Public Health Wales, DHSSPS in Northern Ireland and the Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness Programme as appropriate
- Use dental instruments that are single-use, single patient use (where applicable) or are sterilised after each patient use
- Decontaminate work areas including the dental chair, handheld equipment and cupboard handles, in between patients
- Maintain a high standard of personal hygiene including clinical clothing and the restricted wearing of jewellery
- Monitor practice water for quality. Dental unit waterlines are disinfected and kept clear
- Handle waste according to current regulations and dispose of it with appropriate carriers
- Take expert advice if a team member may have a blood-borne infection. The team member will have an occupational health examination and follow professional advice on their role in treating patients
At Firs Dental we support the team through regular meetings, staff training, personal development and regular appraisals. We always welcome patients’ questions, comments and suggestions. Please contact us on 0116 267 4254 if we can help you in any way or if you have any questions about patient safety at our practice.